If you choose to have plastic surgery, choosing the best surgeon for liposuction can be one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. What happens after a lipo procedure will impact your confidence for years to come.
It is crucial that when you are choosing the best surgeon for liposuction, you will consider the most important factors and characteristics. Inexperienced surgeons can cause you much heartache and unexpected costs.
How to Choose a Lipo Doctor?
Among the many important things that you should be considering to make sure that your lipo doctor will carry out a safe procedure that will bring your desired results, here’s a list of what you should look out for:
- Consider the liposuction doctor’s philosophy about safety
A lipo doctor should know the limit on the maximum amount of liposuction that a patient can tolerate in a day. He or she should put your safety a priority by assuring you that the amount of fat and fluid that will be removed will not be dangerous for your health.
- Surgeon Board certified in surgical specialty
Becoming a certified lipo doctor means that an individual has gone through the rigorous process of certification and has taken all necessary training. When you choose a lipo doctor, you should choose one who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Well-trained in surgical emergencies
There can be instances that complications arise during lipo surgery. A good lipo doctor should know how to deal with these types of surgical emergencies. This means knowing how to both prevent and take care of liposuction complications.
- Essential prerequisites
Apart from the certification that a good lipo doctor should have to be your best option, also consider that the doctor should meet these rigorous standards:
- Complete at least six years of surgical training after medical school and a minimum of three years of plastic surgery residency training.
- Pass comprehensive oral and written exams
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Complete continuing medical education, including patient safety, each year
- Perform surgery in accredited, state-licensed or Medicare-certified surgical facilities
- Essential attributes
A lipo doctor that performs successful surgeries does not only possess the prerequisites and skills that are needed by the profession. There are essential attributes that the doctor should have like:
- High ethical standards
- Artistic sensibility
- Aesthetic sensibility
- Ability to discriminate between fad and fact as new lipo techniques are introduced
- Ability to recognize and avoid unnecessarily dangerous situations
Which Liposuction Gives the Best Results
There are many options for liposuction surgery available and it can be confusing which would be the safest and most effective. According to the University of California, San Francisco Health, the most popular form of liposuction is tumescent liposuction.
Tumescent liposuction is popular because of the following:
- Less painful
- Does not require general anesthesia
The procedure involves removal of fat from almost all parts of the body. It is used to remove unwanted fat like lipomas and benign fatty tumors. It is also effective in treating excessive underarm sweating and removing enlarged male and female breasts.
Tips For Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon
To get the best desired results from a procedure carried out by a cosmetic surgeon, consider these details:
- The cosmetic surgeon should be board certified the the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS). This is an assurance that the doctor has taken the needed education, training, and certification required to be an adept cosmetic surgeon.
- The cosmetic surgeon should have substantial experience in the specific procedures that you need or are considering. You can ask the following question to know about experience:
- How did you train in the procedure I am considering?
- How many years have you been performing this procedure?
- How many times have you performed this type of procedure?
- The cosmetic surgeon should have an aesthetic sense that appeals to you.
- The cosmetic surgeon and his team should make you feel comfortable and you should feel that you can completely trust them with your safety and results that you expect after a procedure.
It can be overwhelming to choose from a list of many good cosmetic surgeons when you search in Google. Remember these tips in finding the right plastic surgeon for you to make it less of a burden.